Graduate Student Challenge 2014
The MTT society will be hosting for the third time the Graduate Student Challenge during the 2014 International Microwave Symposium (IMS) in Seattle. This event is open to all PhD and MS students who are registered at IMS. As opposed to other IMS student competitions and activities, all the activities related to the Graduate Student Challenge competition will take place only during the IMS2014.
The aim is to encourage graduate student members who attend the IMS conference to form teams, conduct brain storming meetings, develop new ideas and propose applications based on two papers presented at the IMS and on themes indicated by the jury.
During the IMS2014, each team will prepare a poster to summarize its results and major achievements. On the last day of the IMS on Thursday morning, student teams will compete by presenting their posters and detailing their ideas in a special Poster Session, in front of judges from industry and academia.
The winning team for the Graduate Student Challenge will be announced on Thursday evening during the IMS closing ceremony. The winning team will be presented a $2000.00 cash award.
Schedule of the Graduate Student Challenge
- Monday 4:00 PM: Students who are interested in participating in this competition are asked to attend a meet and greet event on Monday afternoon at 4:00 PM during the week of IMS (before the IMS plenary session and welcome reception). During this meeting, the participants will form teams consisting of maximum three members. The student team members must not be from the same university. Transnational teaming is strongly encouraged. During the meeting on Monday, several themes will be presented that should serve as the basis for the Graduate Student Challenge.
- Monday-Wednesday: Each team is to develop new ideas and propose novel applications consistent with one of the themes that they have chosen. The ideas should be based on at least two papers presented at IMS. The selected papers must not be authored/co-authored by the team members or be from their universities. This is to assure a level playing field for the competition.
- Wednesday 5:00 PM: A poster will be delivered by each group on Wednesday at 5:00 PM
- Thursday morning: Teams are required to present their posters to the judges, during a poster session on Thursday morning at IMS. The selection criteria will be based on the originality, content, practicality and clarity of the presentations.
- Thursday afternoon: The winning team for the Graduate Student Challenge will be announced on Thursday afternoon during the IMS Student Awards Luncheon.